The creative director will be responsible for the overall supervision and direction of the agency’s creative product – including concept development, copywriting and content development, graphic design, and production. This position will play an essential role in the marketing, creative, communications, digital, and social strategy presented to Crawford clients. The creative director will interface between the client, the senior leadership team, the account management team, and the creative team.
Key responsibilities will include leading the creative team, developing creative guidelines and processes, and directing creative work. Additionally, the creative director should be comfortable taking strategic marketing plans and interpreting them into “big ideas” and implementing creative plans, concepts, and deliverables. The creative director will approve all creative work before client presentations. It is important for the creative director to be able to rely on extensive experience and professional judgment to consistently plan and execute projects, as well as be a strong, positive encouraging leader….both for the creative department and the agency as a whole. In addition to leading the internal creative team, the creative director, working with the producer, will be expected to cultivate and maintain a stable network of freelance talent to allow the agency to flex up and down as creative demands ebb and flow.
This is a fast-paced and dynamic job, which requires the creative director to be an expert in all facets of the creative process and the creative industry in order to produce the best work. Equally important is the ability to be a strong leader with the ability to maximize the talents of individual team members. Most of all, the creative director should have “vision” about the importance of the creative product to the future success of the agency.
All Crawford team members are expected to exemplify our agency’s five Core Values, listed below.
QUALITY – Commitment to high standards and pride of ownership.
RESPONSIBILITY – Consistently reliable and accountable for work product.
FLEXIBILITY – Open to new things and ideas – adventurous.
RESPECT – Esteem and appreciation for each other, our clients, and our community.
ATTITUDE – Positive and supportive attitude.
- Intimate understanding of branding, design, copy, social, web, and digital best practices/guidelines
- Proficient or Expert in Creative Cloud programs (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.)
- Excellent leadership skills with strategic “big picture” vision and ability to manage the department profitably
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong understanding of brand development and multichannel marketing concepts
- Ability to be a leader, mentor, and motivator to the Crawford creative team
- Help creative team overcome obstacles that arise within a project and offer solutions/strategic feedback
- Minimum of 10-15 years agency experience with at least 5 years as a creative lead
- Strong copywriting background for the ability to concept and communicate creative ideas
- Must have strong written and oral communication and listening skills
- Must be detail-oriented
- Should possess strong values, work ethic, and sound judgment
- Should be strategic, talented, and enthusiastic
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Direct the creative process and strive for excellence in everything from concept to completion of every project on time and within budget.
- Manage the creative team (art directors, graphic designers, copywriters, etc.) to profitability based on department P&L.
- Work closely with the account services team to solve marketing problems through smart, well-designed creative that sells products and maintains a good image for clients and the agency. Work directly with account services on strategic positioning of clients and understanding the “big picture” approach.
- Attend creative kickoff meetings and/or review creative briefs to develop creative strategy and implement all creative requirements including copy, content, layout, illustrations, final art, and photography.
- Confirm client review and delivery schedules with account executives and lead the team to meet schedule expectations.
- Oversee creative solutions and present those to account executives for internal approval at a date determined during the initial client input meeting.
- Develop presentations, present, and “sell” creative at client presentations as required.
- Develop and maintain relationships with preferred vendors such as printers, video production companies, and freelancers for outsourced creative work.
- Interview and screen applications for creative positions in conjunction with senior leadership.
- Maintain current working knowledge of up-to-date creative software, programs, and technology.
- Work in tandem with senior leadership to ensure profitability metrics and production expectations are maintained by the creative team.
- Analyze and solve problems cooperatively with a positive outlook to ensure the highest level of morale among the creative team.
- Work with company president and senior leadership with new business efforts (proposals, marketing collateral, strategies).
- Represent the agency at creative/professional/civic functions.
This is a salaried position and is exempt of overtime.